Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hickory Update


Iowa has a lot of shagbark hickory trees. If you hunt geocaches in fall, you're sure to stumble upon a few. Yesterday we were in Woodward/Luther/DM River area and every tree was either oak or hickory. The forest floor was covered with leaf litter and nuts. Having hickories can get fun for the geocacher because the nuts themselves are treasures. You just have to remember to keep a grocery sack in your backpack for the nuts. Unless you like separating nuts from all your caching supplies at the end of day.

1 comment:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I was at my fav woods yesterday and learned a lot about hickorys. The nuts are all over the trail. I will take a bag next time to collect a few. I dont think i've ever eaten them? I am taking your word for it that they are good. I love walnuts!