Friday, September 5, 2008

100 Species Challenge -- Species # 13

Specimen #13 -- False Solomon's Seal

AKA False Spikenard, Solomon's Zigzag

A few different Latin names exist for this, usually ending in something similar to racemosa.

Found near GCMAH3, 3 Floating Bubbles

After my last post, I thought I would look at more things you would find at this time of year. We saw this plant in September. You can see the red and white (solid and kind of stripey) fruit near the right hand side. The berries are edible when raw and cooked. They are full of vitamins, and although we have not tried them, we just might one day, because have been reported to prevent scurvy. Of course, if your body is not used to them, you may want to cook them first -- they have a laxative effect when raw. All right, knowing me, I'd probably eat one just for the heck of it. I have read that the taste is nice.

This plant is different from Solomon's Seal most noticeably by the flower (and fruit) shape and positioning as well as its zigzag stem. I feel sort of sorry for the plant because it does not have its own name.

No comments: