Thursday, August 21, 2008

100 Species Challenge

Specimen #5.

Jack in the Pulpit

Arisaema triphyllum

Photographed April 2007 by me.

This is one plant that you just don't forget. I had never seen one in real life until I was an adult visiting Maquoketa Caves State Park, but I knew it as soon as I saw it. There were many Jack in the Pulpits (or would that be Jacks in the Pulpit? And wouldn't it be funny if our pastor was a skinny guy named Jack?) at Maquoketa, and this particular plant was also one of many.

I took this picture at Thomas Mitchell Park while hunting for a geocache. We met friends for a playdate and had a great time in the creek and on the playground. After they all left, we tried to find three caches. We found stage one of the now-archived GCKAVD, Hole in the Tree with a couple friends, and nothing else. So we did not turn them on to the hobby/sport of caching.

Wait, let me re-state that -- we found no more caches. We found lots of other things, including animal bones and tracks-- see the pics. I think the tracks are rabbit tracks. Elmer Fudd the voice if you like -- "wabbit twacks."

Keep in mind that I can't control this layout like I can using my beloved PageMaker, so forgive the crappy arrangement of the photos. The editor is not WYSIWYG.

No comments: