Wednesday, August 20, 2008

100 Species Challenge


Specimen #4. Spineleaf Moss
Atrichum undulatum

I took this photo in April 2008, when this moss was about the only thing that was green. I shot this moss after we found GC145RB, Jim Dandy. It was easy to find, and fairly easy to reach -- if you are a mountain goat.

I like this picture because you can see how soft and furry the moss can be.

We always like this particular park when you hike the creek (Jordan Creek). This moss was on a tree that fell across the creek. You can see it in the lower left foreground of the lower picture on this page.

I think geocaching enables my desire to stomp in a creek since so many caches are near water. Who doesn't like to skip stones, find little fish, watch the water bugs, and wade in the water?

GAIN Academy and I have a history of creek stomping, and I really don't want to stop. My older two and I (wearing my third child on my back) would walk to a park and creek stomp every day the weather allowed when we lived in Ames. I'll stop thinking about that now, because wow, that was a L O N G time ago.

No comments: