Sunday, November 11, 2007

Caching the counties

I have made a point to attempt caches during our travels. I know other people have travel goals, too. For example, Scotty and Fiddy, the ones who inspired me to create a blog, visited 50 states in 50 days by hitchhiking back in 2006. 3/4 of GAIN and I met them with friends almost one year ago today. Just this week, I read about a friend's motorcycle club trying to hit all 99 Iowa counties and getting their photo taken at the respective county landmarks. Sort of like waymarking, if I understood her right.

Today we traveled as a family to northern Iowa and I finally got a find in Kossuth County. I say finally because I have prepared hunts for the last three trips there, but never got to search until today. We left well before sunset today, and the cache I chose to hunt was an urban one. I am happy to say that I can color another county on the line map I have of Iowa counties.

We traveled north for an anniversary celebration -- 50 years of marriage tomorrow! Congratulations to Luke and Carol! Quite an inspiration. While seated at tables with extended family, "G" of GAIN got out his army men and quietly made structures with party mints for his men. I asked him if all the men came from yesterday's flash mob, WWFM -- Bloodlust Style. At this, Mr. GAIN's cousin asks about a flash mob. Mr. GAIN says the word "geocache." His cousin and her family had heard of geocaching and then told us a story about a local cache. They said that an Englishwoman had a teddy bear travel bug visit their town. I thought it awesome for non-cachers to know about this. To think that geocaching is almost a regular word....

I also took my first waymark today for Knights for Life. I am totally new to the concept of waymarking. Hopefully my gps was warmed up enough to give two good readings. I know my first of three was not good. I think the second and third came up good. I'll need to confirm it somehow. Learning all the time here....

1 comment:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

That is very cool!!! Holden and I caught a documentary on PBS a few weeks ago about GC. H was fascinated and didn't understand why we couldn't try GC now. LOL. You made your goal of 150 (?) already I bet!!