Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Lettuce and Other Food


Well, after ignoring my lettuce through the frosty nights of April, you will see from the picture that the plants survived. I thought you may want to know what happened after my blatant neglect, posted on April 6. I think I had three plants die, but that is not many. And no, I did not put them in rows. The seeds are too small for me to get perfectionistic. Same as carrots, I just sprinkle them and let them grow where they fall. I don't thin my plants either. I am the only one in the house who eats lettuce anyway.

I use raised beds a la _Cubed Foot Gardening_, by Chris Bird. I have done this since 2000 or 2001. It works well for us. My younger son and I each have a box, and we have a fun competition about our gardens. Usually it's related to plant size, or amount of potatoes harvested. Here is a picture of some fun things we dug up one year -- a "foot," a "baby snowman," and a "snowman." We considered entering them at the State Fair's Unusual Vegetable category, but we chickened out. After seeing what was entered, we felt like wimps for not entering. Anyone can grow a squash or watermelon in a mason jar or a cinder block. The most memorable unusual vegetable we ever saw was a carrot that grew through and around an old-style pop (soda, beer, whatever you like) can tab -- the kind that broke away from the can on purpose and cut you. We all giggled when we saw it. What a surprise to whoever pulled or dug it up.

To close today's post, I want to promote Community Supported Agriculture, or CSA, here. Although I grow food at home, I also belong to a CSA called Turtle Farm. I got into it through the testimony of a couple families who also belong. This year we are splitting a share with a home school family from West Des Moines. I would share the mom's blog here, but very few of you readers here would be suited for it, because she blogs in Russian. Go plant some veggies, already, everyone. And if you if you don't plant something, you can look for Jean Craighead George's book, Acorn Pancakes, Dandelion Salad and Other Wild Dishes; it is pretty interesting to read. After reading it, you may wonder why we garden at all. George is a favorite author of our family. I also have a book on Native American food. I'll put the title up when I locate the book.

1 comment:

juliecache said...

The title is:

Indian Cookin (sic)
c. 1973 Nowega Press

Ingredients included: ramps, creases, dandelion greens, groundhog, opossum, locust, frogs, raccoon, yellow jacket combs and bugs, turtle, and a lot of herb remedies.