Monday, April 6, 2009

American Coot


I posted on my Facebook account that I thought I saw and heard coots. I remembered reading about them in the field guides of my youth, but had never seen or heard one.

How did I figure out they were coots? I used these resources -- Waterbirds of Ohio book and CD, and a Golden Book entitled Game Birds. I have been using the Urban Birds book and CD shown in the photo for my "continuing education," but this bird was not urban. The CD's were both free to educators.

I had taken video of my kids, and realized that the background noise included birdsongs. Listening to my video and then using my print and audio resources, I decided that we sighted American coots.

Waterbirds of Ohio came from the Ohio DNR. It does not appear to be available, but you can view the website here. I debated about requesting it, and I am glad I did. Iowa shares many of the 138 birds mentioned in the Ohio resource. A photo book with details for each bird accompanies the CD.

The Urban Birds CD came from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Click here for their electronic teaching materials. This is a neat resource, because kids created it. One kid describes one bird's physical appearance and other statistics, using words such as "dimorphic" and relating its size to real-life objects like "a soda can." The kid then creates lyrics for the birdsong, and there are quizzes every four or five birds for a total of 22 birds.

Although these sites use electronic audio files, I find that CD's are easier for me than electronic media. It seems like one or two less steps to get the sounds I want to hear. And my younger kids can play CD's on their own, no assistance needed. I also appreciate the pdf files to accompany the audio resources. No shelf space to store masters (I have a few binders of masters from our early homeschool days).

I see my birding CD's as educational and use them in the same way many people would use foreign language CD's. Birdsong is a foreign language. Many homeschool families use CD's for other purposes -- memorizing poems, learning geography and times tables to music, appreciating orchestral selections, etc. These particular CD's are great in that they enable us to increase the enjoyment we find outdoors.

No comments: