Monday, November 3, 2008

100 Species Challenge -- Species # 29


Specimen #29 Frost Grape

Vitis vulpina

Photographed at Jester Park, Oct. 2008

Native to North America.

I've also seen this plant along the WDM Greenbelt (unsure if it has a name) and along many easements.

This grape can be distinguished from the fox grape by the fine serrations along the edge (margin).

My kids have dared me over the years to taste the grapes, but I've not been brave enough. The kids won't taste them, either. My grandpa just laughs and says that they'll be sour. I just read that the grapes are said to sweeten after a few frosts have made the leaves fall off.

Many Native Americans used this plant to heal a variety of ailments and for food. More on that here.

This site has a lot of information on the frost grape.

No comments: