Saturday, August 30, 2008

100 Species Challenge -- Species #12

Specimen #12 White Trout Lily

Erythronium albidum

AKA dog's tooth violet


Photo details: Browns Woods, 2004

You have to look in early spring for this flower. I swear we've seen yellow, pink, and white flowers, but my records show that only white was seen on this day.

This plant is mentioned in one of GAIN Academy's favorite books, _My Side of the Mountain_, by Jean Craighead George. The main character boils and eats the roots.

The name dog's tooth violet comes from the white, tooth shape of the root. We have never pulled one to check, but hey, we're gullible.

The name trout lily comes from the mottled leaves resembling a trout's coloration. Again, we're gullible in that we've never held a trout up to the leaf and made a comparison. We always call it trout lily. It looks more lily than violet to me, so that is what I taught my children.

I can't really tell from the satellite pics that I am finding if there are any caches near this particular site, but several caches are in this park, including GCZMAP, The Den 9 Trio.

Point to ponder: I found this plant in a small population this year at the family homeplace. Don't remember seeing it there before, but the landscape in that particular location has changed in the last five years. Was it not moist enough until recent times to emerge, or was my timing never right in years past?

No comments: