Thursday, March 13, 2014

Spring Thaw

I've always loved late winter and early spring cache finding because there is little underbrush. That means that the sounds of the forest are easier to hear. Many of the places I enjoy involve water, and today was no exception. I found ice shelves today on this creek.


You can see the ice shelf hanging above the flowing water. It seems to be attached to the stream bank. A small ways downstream, I crossed another very thick ice shelf here in the foreground:


I was familiar with this stream, so I knew it was shallow if the ice broke. I really enjoyed the sounds of snowmelt running down the rills and folds of the hills. There was one place where a tree had fallen to create a natural pipeline, making an echo like an amusement park waterslide.

No comments: