Wildflower Week is declared by the Iowa Native Plant Society this week.
|Ft. Des Moines Park last year|
I love this time of year. Watching the plants progress from short leaves, to taller leaves with flower stalks, to flowers, and then dying back is something that I love. It reminds me of spring walks with my grandmother,.
I wrote about expanding your backyard a while ago. Since that time, more Wildflower Hikes and related events have been added. Our cold spring has delayed ephemeral bloom. We found trout lily last weekend, a short ways from a creek, but there were only two. I'm sure more have poked out of the ground since that time with the warm up we've had.
|Ft. Des Moines Park|
- April 30 - 6:30pm - Thomas Mitchell Park, Polk County, Mitchellville, Wildflower Hike, meet at McDonald's parking lot in Pleasant Hill, Central Iowa Sierra Group, contact: Jackie, 515-577-0375
- May 1 - 6:00pm - Easter Lake Park, Polk County, Des Moines; May Day Hike and then making a May Day basket to take home, Polk County Conservation Board, 515-323-5300
- May 18 - 9:00am to noon - Native Iowa Plant Sale, Annett Nature Center and Park, Warren County, sponsored by Friends of Warren County; contact: Joel at 515-961-6169 ext. 204
- May 19 – noon to 4:00pm - Native Iowa Plant Sale, Annett Nature Center and Park, Warren County, sponsored by Friends of Warren County; contact: Joel at 515-961-6169 ext. 204
- May 23 - 7:00pm - Doolittle Prairie State Preserve, Story County, near Story City, Prairie Walk; contact: Lloyd Crim at (515) 432-5026 or firstname.lastname@example.org
|A sea of may apples at Ft. Des Moines last year|