Friday, October 10, 2008

100 Species Challenge -- Species # 24


Specimen #24 New England Aster

Sumphyotrichum novae-angliae (Aster novae-angliae)

Photo by me, Margo Frankel Woods (found in a clearing) 2008.

This flower is blooming now. I like the color it brings to the autumnal world. This grouping of plants was about as tall as our computer desk. You can see that this specimen is the first of a cluster to bloom.

The Greek root for aster is "astro," which refers to the star shape. At one time in history, this was called starwort. Wort is the Old English word that was everyone used to use for 'plant' -- St. John's wort, liverwort, and adderwort are plants that I can think of off the top of my head that still use the word 'wort.' I read that 'wort' fell out of use during the 17th century.

No comments: